Sunday, November 14, 2010

There goes the sun

This Sunday a thief will break into homes across Canada and steal something dear to us all: daylight.
The cold-hearted culprit, daylight saving time, is set to silently snatch an hour of our dwindling daylight early Sunday morning at 2 a.m., as clocks across the country are turned back an hour.
As if it wasn't bad enough that the sun sets at 6:15 p.m. already. Now we'll be bidding goodbye to the fire in the sky a few minutes past 5 p.m. – that means dinner in the dark for most, except those fond of the early bird special.
Although some short-sighted college and university students may cheer DST because it means an extra hour of drinking at the bar on Saturday night, there's nothing to applaud about this tragic day that never fails to show up on the first Sunday of November.
And I know I'm not the only person with anti-DST feelings. Few countries outside of the Western world even practise the twice-annual ritual. This may be the only time you ever hear me say we should be more like the North Koreans.
First enacted in North America during the First World War, experts argued that DST saves energy by taking advantage of longer daytime hours between spring and autumn.
But where does that leave us during the winter months? In the dark, I guess.
Seeing as how we don't turn our clocks ahead until March, I might as well start looking on the bright side (no pun intended) of DST. At least we'll get an extra hour on Sunday.
Perhaps I'll watch my favourite television program, 60 Minutes, with my added hour – although I'm not sure if I'll have enough time.
With the sun setting at such an early hour, I'll be better able to follow the advice of Benjamin Franklin, one of the founding fathers of the United States.
Big Ben famously said, "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise."
While there's nothing glamorous about going to bed before Survivor ends, and waking up early is only cool if you're a rooster. I can't argue with the man who helped pen the American Constitution and invented ­bifocals and the lightening rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment